Wednesday 16 July 2008

Rodgers receives Favre blessing

Buried away in the second installment of Brett Favre's FOX news interview, were his response to Aaron Rodgers, who told Green Bay fans last month to '...shut up and get on board', regarding his tenure with the Packers.

We got along fine. He's 14 years younger than me. I know he made some comments here lately. But when I was his age I made some crazy comments, too, so I can't hold that against him... It's got to be hard on him. My only advice to him, and I never gave him advice, really, would be that the only way to shut that up, we all know, is to go out and play and play well. And that's not to say that they would forget what I've done. But go out and prove it on the field. That's all I would say. I'm not sitting here bashing Aaron Rodgers. I think he'll do a fine job, and I think his comments are not a surprise. Not only from him, but I might have said the same thing.

- Brett Favre speaks about his successor, Aaron Rodgers

Favre and Rodgers were never best friends, but neither was there ever any animosity between the two. Rodgers was aware from day one that there were no conflicting opinions amongst fans about who should be Green Bay starter if both men were healthy, and so has never griped or complained about the way he has been almost cast aside as an afterthought to Favre's annual retirement saga. This stoicism has endeared him to locals who know that even if Favre were to come back for one more year, sooner or later, the team needs to be handed to Rodgers.

Favre knows this now. If he were in any doubt, the fact that there are as many activists on both sides of the fence should make it clearer. Indeed, in response to one petition to bring him back, a reader informs us that there is a similiar campaign to keep him on the Golf course.

No comments: